Colon Cleansing Mediterranean Grain Salad
This Mediterranean Grain Salad is filled with fresh ingredients, lots of chewy delicious grains, that will have your system humming in no time!
Perfect as a side dish, a main course, or for taking with you to a house party where the cheap ass host asked you to bring one dish. On second thought, fuck sharing this little beauty with those tight ass friends!
Feel free to add in some grilled chicken or shrimp if you’d like, or just serve it meatless as is. I promise, it’s a keeper….unlike my first two wives.
Like always, please, buy the best produce you can afford.
6 cups of my mum’s homemade chicken stock or you can use vegetable stock, since this is meant to be vegetarian. (You can get my mum’s homemade chicken stock by calling her on +61408 106 600 if you tell her Justin sent you, it’s free)
- 1 wine glass of uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 wine glass of uncooked lentils, rinsed and drained
- Fistful of uncooked chia seeds, no need to rinse and drain…and one of the best legal things to come out of Central America
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and finely-diced
- 2/3 wine glass finely-diced roasted red peppers….Roast them yourself if you have time.
- 1/2 wine glass finely diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 wine glasses diced “candy-like” cherry tomatoes
- 100g crumbled Greek feta
- 1 “Bunch of Jerry Springer Onions” – half of a small red onion, finely diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 massive handfuls of finely-chopped fresh Italian parsley. (Needs to be Italian otherwise this would be a Greek salad and not Mediterranean).
- 1 massive handful of finely-chopped mint.
Seasoning for Grains.
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon sumac
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon pepper corns
- Warm in pan, then pound into a powder.
Greek Vinaigrette Ingredients, to be authentic have a Greek friend mix it for you:
- 9 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 table spoon of dried oregano
- Largish pinch of garlic powder
- Season to taste.
To make the Greek Vinaigrette. (Can’t believe I have to explain this)
WHISK ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER UNTIL COMBINED. POUR OVER SALAD.
Stir together the stock and grains in a medium saucepan, and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Remove from heat, and drain off any extra stock once the grains are cooked. Let the grains cool for at least 10 minutes. Now add the seasoning and a little drink of Spanish olive oil while cooling. Slurp slurp!
Transfer grains to a large mixing bowl, then add in remaining ingredients, including the vinaigrette. Toss until combined.
Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days….Or if your life is a Seinfeld episode, push it, see how long it takes before it walks out. For reference Click here